Pages

Friday, October 11, 2002

Because I work in an environment that is almost entirely dominated by Evangelical and Fundamentalist Protestants, I've noticed that there are certain words that they (Protestants) tend to frequently use in their everyday conversations. Some of it is tinged with anti-Catholicism, although I don't believe most of the people I encounter realize it or harbor ill will toward me. Here's a sampling:

"worldview" i.e., one's moral perspective

"Oh my gosh!" i.e., an exclamation without taking the Lord's name in vain

"biblical or biblically -based" i.e., my position on, say, using vibrators finds support in the Bible, and is therefore true (doesn't matter that nobody else sees what I see)

"fellowship" -- i.e., act of worship with fellow "Bible-believing" Christians (often entails singing "praise" songs)

"Bible-believing Christians" i.e., professed Christians who have the same or similar conservative biblically-based moral views, and believe that the Bible is the sole authority on and deposit of the Christian faith.

"non-denominational" i.e., not a denomination; just Christian

"Christian" i.e., not Catholic

No comments: