Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

"Roe" Sues to Overturn '73 Decision

Norma McCorvey, "Jane Roe" of Roe v. Wade, has made the interesting procedural move of filing a Rule 60 motion to reopen the infamous case that made abortion a constitutional right. While I hope Ms. McCorvey, who is now pro-life and Catholic, succeeds, I personally don't think this move to try and overturn Roe v. Wade will work. I think there is a big time problem, and I'm not entirely certain that a winning party in a civil rights case can later come back to try and overturn a "favorable" decision. (Thanks Emily for the heads-up on the article link).

Update: Apparently, there have been instances where a winning party has come back on a Rule 60 motion to overturn a favorable decision. One such case would be Agostini v. Felton. Guess I need to pay more attention to some of the articles I link.

No comments: