Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Job Wanted

Since the solo practice isn't going too well, I've decided to "hit the pavement" and look for a job with a small firm in San Francisco. I sent out over 600 (yes, 600+) resumes to various solo practitioners and small firms in the City last Thursday, and so far I've gotten a few "not hiring at this time" letters and one request for an interview yesterday with a firm that I didn't know mostly did maritime law until I arrived for the interview (I thought it was just a general civil litigation firm).

Overall, I don't think my interview went too well. It lasted for only about thirty minutes, which is never a good sign. Furthermore, while it was hard enough trying to put a positive spin on my general lack of litigation experience and exposure to maritime law, I had to deal with these issues while sitting in a hot office with no air conditioning (it hit a record 91 degrees in San Francisco yesterday). Needless to say, I wasn't very impressive, and I think it's probably safe to presume that I won't be tendered an offer to work with this firm. So while I anxiously and hopefully wait by my phone for other attorneys to call me in for a job interview, I would ask you to please keep me in your prayers during this somewhat personally difficult time.

Update: Got a call from the above law firm's owner today (Wednesday), and he said he'd like to hire me on a two-week (10 days) trial basis to "see if there's a good fit." Not wanting to seem desperate or that no other firms have been in contact with me about possible employment, I responded that I'd need the day to think about it, and that I would call him back Thursday morning. After some discussion with friends and colleagues, chances are pretty good that I'm going to accept the offer.

No comments: