Pages

Friday, June 30, 2006

Holy Begeezus!

Praise be to God for the Internet! I'm looking for another job, and my brother tells me he works with someone whose wife is an attorney at a nearby firm that wants to hire a new associate. Even though this firm mostly does family law, which I don't like too much, I figure I'd give my brother's friend's wife a call anyway to see if her boss or bosses might be interested in talking to me. Turns out they did, and I guess the interview went well enough that I was offered a job the next day. (Note: Because he had actually heard of my law school and asked what seemed at the time to me to be sincere questions about how the school integrates, if at all, Christianity and the teaching of law, I had thought the partner who interviewed me might be a Christian with somwhat conservative political leanings. When viewed against the backdrop of the stuff to follow, now I'm not so sure.)

However, since I'm not all that fond of family law, I told this firm that I'd like to think about it a little and that I would get back to them the next week. "Not a problem" they basically responded to me.

Given the salary that was offered, and the fact that this firm is just down the street from the very small firm I'm at right now, I was actually leaning toward accepting the position. That is, until I Googled this firm's name and discovered they just recently represented an openly g@y male couple who made a direct legal challenge to California's Defense of Marriage Act!

Needless to say, I don't think I'm going to be working for these people.

No comments: