Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Thanksbutnothanks

Due purely to finances, the little firm I'm currently at has advised me that they are going to have to let me go in the next few months. Because he's a really nice guy, the office manager of my firm has been asking other law firm managers he knows if they might be looking for a new associate. He got a bite this past Monday from the office manager of a mid-sized insurance defense firm, so I accordingly talked to that office manager and e-mailed my resume to her later that evening.

Because the office manager of that firm actually called my office manager to request that I forward my resume, I thought I had a pretty good shot of at least getting an interview. However, when I got home this evening, there was a form letter waiting for me from this firm which basically said they weren't interested in hiring me.

Unless this office manager was mistaken about her firm wanting to hire another associate attorney, I just can't help but think that the law school I graduated from is the reason for why I got rejected so fast. Comparatively speaking, I think I've accumulated more litigation experience in the last two years than most graduates from ABA accredited schools get in their first five years of practice with a big or mid-sized firm. How many first or second year associates at the big or mid-sized firms write and argue law and motion matters? Probably almost none. I tell you, the bias against non-ABA law schools really sux.

No comments: