Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006

Chick or Treat

Joe Carter of Evangelical Outpost does a nice takedown of the infamous Jack Chick comics/tracts and the suggestion that they be given to little kids on Halloween.

To me, though, Chick is not just another anti-Catholic bigot. When I was a kid Jack Chick was the man who was responsible for more nightmares than the Twilight Zone and Kolchak: The Nightstalker combined. Chick not only scared the hell out of me, he made me afraid that hell was all around me.

While his comic books are less well known than his tracts, they were a primary source of literature around my fundamentalist church. In a typical display of twisted '70s fundie logic, our congregation believed that comics about Satan and the occult were more wholesome than reading about Spiderman or Archie and Jughead.

No comments: