Pages

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Somewhat Troubling Encounter

I was at the monthly St. Thomas More Society of Orange County meeting today and happened to make some small talk with a local priest, whose name I can't remember. Turns out that prior to being ordained, this priest was a practicing civil lawyer who received his juris doctorate from Georgetown. Upon learning this, I asked the priest what he thought about the controversy regarding Georgetown's recent naming of a human rights faculty chair after the infamous Fr. Robert Drinan, a known abortion rights advocate.

Surprisingly, this priest was unaware that there was a controversy, and wanted to know where I had heard Fr. Drinan supported abortion rights. Upon my responding that that Fr. Drinan has long been outspoken in favor of the right to abortion, the priest more or less dismissed me by saying that if that were the case, he would have heard about it before today. At saying this, our conversation ended mostly because the priest had just been asked to give a benediction to start the meeting.

It's at times like this that I wish I had instant access to the Internet to find evidence in support of a point I make in casual conversation. Hopefully, this priest will set himself straight on Fr. Drinan, though I doubt he'll remember that we talked about it today.

No comments: