Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Pot, Kettle, Black...

A painting which depicts President Bush being sodomized was taken down from open display in an art gallery after Michael Friedman, an "artist" who had painted a picture of Pope Benedict XVI with several swastikas in the background, complained that the sexually explicit painting of Bush was offensive and tasteless. (via Powerline)

"Sodomy in a public forum is not, from my perspective, considered art," [Friedman] said. "I think somebody has to draw the line somewhere. I like political satire. However, that type of image...I don't think is artistic."

Friedman's right about the sodomy depiction, of course, but I'm trying to figure out [toungue in cheek] how his suggestion that the pope is a Nazi is artful satire rather than illustrated bigotry or hate speech.

No comments: